Friday, January 16, 2015

Pwn Adventure 3 Speed Hack

The Ghost in the Shellcode CTF has a number of challenges within an Unreal engine MMO. The game, Choose Your Pwn Adventure 3, is designed to be hacked. The hackable game code is mostly in a DLL called GameLogic.dll, which is a C++ binary with a provided debug .pdb file.

You start out running pretty slowly, so getting around the huge island is a pain. It's simple to get some basic speed hacking going though.

After going through the DLL and looking at function names that seemed interesting, I ran across the following:


I followed the offset and found the following there:

.rdata:10078B14 __real@40400000 dd 3.0

The hex for the float value was 0x4040. I changed this modifier to be a little bit higher by patching the DLL with a hex editor.


And that's it.

1 comment :

  1. I know this is kind of old, but I'm trying to use PA3 as a learning experience to get into reverse engineering. I've been wondering how you can find the correct address in the .dll based on the offset?

    ReplyDelete